Friends, Members, and kindred spirits,
The DSA monthly meeting will be on September 10 at the Niebyl-Proctor Library 6501 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, (slightly North of Alcatraz).
- 9:45am Meet and greet, coffee and schmooze ( bring something little to share if you like)
- 10am Business Meeting- Agenda includes work we are doing, business to attend to, and reports on contact with other groups, voting on changes in East Bay by-laws.
- 11am Invited is a representative and organize for ACCE, the group that took over for ACORN as it plummeted due to the work of Breitbart.
One other thing that we have been working on is putting some energy into the Jane Kim campaign and organizing the members of DSA in San Francisco. Hope to see you Saturday.
Those who supported Bernie Sanders for President should be aware of Jane Kim’s race for State Senate and Bernie’s endorsement of her. He mentioned her the other day when talking about his ‘Our Revolution’ campaign. It’s an important race and she’ll be a great ally to progressives on the state level as she’s been for her district in San Francisco. Her district includes the Tenderloin, which is one of the poorest places in California. Her campaign is having a Town Hall to find solutions for housing on Tuesday, August 30th. She’s in a tough race against another SF District Supervisor, Scott Weiner. Scott Weiner might be decidedly progressive anywhere but San Francisco but he’s taking a lot of money from developers and overall, he’s just ok here. Check out details for the Town Hall at http://janekim.org/housing/ and you can donate here. We’ll be meeting after to decide how best to move forward to form a DSA chapter in San Francisco as well as how to contribute best to Jane Kim’s campaign. We hope to have more events on her behalf, depending on who comes Tuesday and/or expresses interest. Please forward this anyone you think might be interested in helping form a DSA chapter in SF and those who want to help Jane’s campaign. Feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. Let’s strike while the iron is hot and build a strong chapter here in San Francisco as well as help a strong local candidate whose proven she deserves it.
DSA has just established an affiliation at the national level with Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ). You can learn more about the national organization by visiting the website or about the local chapter on their Facebook page. They are holding a rally tomorrow, Thursday July 21st at 5pm, at Oscar Grant Plaza in Oakland, to call attention to our unwavering support for the Movement for Black Lives. You can find more details on the Facebook event page. Hope to see you there.
The DSA monthly meeting arrives this Saturday at the Niebyl-Proctor Library, 6501 Telegraph, slightly north of Alcatraz in Oakland. Sorry about the late notice
This Saturday, May 21, Beer, Burgers and Bernie at the Starry Plough Pub in Berkeley, 3101 Shattuck Ave at Prince St, 2 blocks from Ashby BART.
Democratic Socialists of America East Bay presents:
Bernie’s Plan – Save, Improve, & Expand Social Security
Come hear about the fight to keep Social Security safe. Bernie says it’s not fair for millionaires to pay the same as a worker making $118,500. The Right says it’s bankrupt – we say “Scrap the Cap” on payroll taxes!
Saturday, May 21, 2016 • 2:00 – 4:30 pm
FREE – all ages welcome, please buy food & drink at the Pub
For info, contact DSA, 510 684-6286 or email@example.com
DSA – East Bay presents: Jodi Reid, a leader in the fight to protect Social Security; and Don Goldmacher, producer of the documentary “HEIST!” on the Right’s regressive agenda. Stay in touch to find out how we can work for Bernie and build a political revolution. Follow us on Facebook: East Bay Democratic Socialists of America; Twitter @dsaeastbay; or online: dsaeastbay.org.
Paid for by Democratic Socialists of America (www.dsausa.org). Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
Our next DSA monthly Meeting is May 14
Niebyl-Proctor Library 6501 Telegraph Ave Oakland, (slightly north of Alcatraz Ave)
All union members and friends of labor are invited on Friday night, April 22, between 6 and 8 PM at SEIU Local 87, 240 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco to help build Bernie’s California primary campaign.
The program for this important event includes the following:
- Greetings from our hosts at janitors Local 87, Sal Rosselli, president of NUHW, andMike Casey, president of the San Francisco Labor Council.
- Pat Wynne and the SF Labor Chorus will lead us in song—in fact, three new ones about Bernie!
- SF Supervisors, who are supporting Bernie, will be there—Aaron Peskin, John Avalos, and David Campos!
- Anand Singh, president of UNITE-HERE Local 2 will report on plans to bring Bernie to San Francisco next month to aid local labor struggles.
- Lisa Kermish from UPTE-CWA will describe the workplace canvassing we need to do over the next two months to win on June 7. (Canvassing materials will be available at the meeting.)
- New Sanders campaign labor out-reach coordinators Phillip Kim and Fernando Losada, on leave from CNA/NNU, will update us on their statewide activities, now underway.
- Christian Einfeldt, from NALC, will be recruiting more Labor for Bernie phone bank helpers.
- Rand Wilson, national Labor for Bernie coordinator and recently elected delegate to the Democratic National Convention will report on organizing for the convention in Philadelphia.
Democratic Socialists of America East Bay presents:
Free Public College Tuition
Find out how we can pay for public higher education, put an end to student debt, and invest in youth. Voice your concerns, hopes, and opinions!
Saturday, April 23, 2016 • 2:00 – 4:30 pm
3101 Shattuck Ave at Prince St – 2 blocks from Ashby BART at the Starry Plough Pub in Berkeley
FREE – all ages welcome, please buy food & drink at the Pub. For info, contact Karl, (510)384-5780 or firstname.lastname@example.org. DSA-East Bay is working for Bernie because we can believe in him. Kayla Pace, of Young Democratic Socialists and a tuition activist at UC Davis; Nicky Gonzalez Yuen, community college instructor and trustee, Peralta Community College District, and Eugene Ruyle, emeritus professor, CA State Long Beach will speak about this important issue. Stay in touch to find out how we can
build a political revolution. Follow us on Facebook: East Bay Democratic
Socialists of America; Twitter @dsaeastbay; or online: dsaeastbay.org.
Paid for by Democratic Socialists of America (dsausa.org).
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee
Download the printable flyer.